Arvid E. Anderson
Pastor Arvid Anderson died at home on October 29, 2012. He was born and raised on a dairy farm in northern Wisconsin. He graduated from Augustana Seminary in 1949, and earned his STM degree from The Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia, where he was a Teaching Fellow in Greek. He was ordained in 1950 in Washington, DC. He was pastor of Christ Lutheran Church in Waterford, Michigan from 1950-1961.
He was called to the staff of the Board of Parish Education of the Lutheran Church in America, a predecessor body of the current Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), and served until 1977. He traveled throughout the church during the introduction of a new Parish Education Curriculum. He served as a consultant for the Lutheran World Federation in curriculum development in South Africa, Tanzania,
In 1977 he was called to serve as Pastor at Salem Lutheran Church, in Ironwood, Michigan, where his first wife died of cancer. He was called to the Division for Parish Services of the ELCA, and became director the Department for Research. He was the author of "The Inescapable Presence, Reflections on the Book of Psalms as a Guide for Our Faith Journey." Following his retirement in 1988, he and his second wife, Nancy, served as chaplains at the Mary J. Drexel Home in the Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod of the ELCA. He is survived by his wife, three children including LTSP alumna the Rev. Ellen Anderson, and six grandchildren.
The funeral will be on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012 at Upper Dublin Lutheran Church, Ambler, PA. Greeting Time 10-11 am, Service 11 am, followed by a Reception at 1 pm. Interment will be private. In lieu of flowers, donations to ELCA World Hunger, P.O. Box 71764, Chicago, IL 60694-1764 or Upper Dublin Lutheran Church, Built to Serve Program, 411 Susquehanna Road, Ambler, PA 19002,